Tuesday, September 12, 2006

First off- Ive arrived and I am very much so alive! This experience has been so incredible so far. Peace Corps really works us through baby steps and our trainers are AMAZING! The d.r. clearly has one of the more organized and better peace corps programs.
I arrived last thursday and the 50 of us were rushed onto buses and taken to a Catholic retreat center for our incountry orientaion. There we were given our first tablets of aralene (malaria meds) and informed we must never drink the water, we must sleep under our mosquito nets, never drink the water, we must wear deet bug spray, never drink the water, not eat certian foods (namely lettuce) and never never ever drink the water. The next day we were shown to our training center which is this amazing botanical safe haven for volunteers! The land is beautiful and well kept with tropical plants and gazeebos where we have class. We recieve our many immunizations here as well. They prepped us on the culutre and then set us free with our first set of host families. Mine is AMAZING! I'm not quite sure how many people I live with but heres the general make up of the place- It is on a family lot with five different houses, around 15 family members, 3 volunteers (including me), many roosters, chickens, 2 dogs, 6 or 7 cows, several pigs, ducks, and a car break repair shop- this is all right of the main highway in the city!!! Great combo of the perks of living in a major city (constant highway noise music and activity) along with the perks of having chickens walk through my kitchen in the morning!
I am being treated like american royalty- this is right i live with the same family that the kennedy kid did. well actually he lived with mi tia (my aunt) in one of the other houses on the lot but i have definatly sat on the same throne (in the bathroom sense). Dominicans have so far been extremely overwhelmingly loving and caring. My family here is extremely protective and proud of me. I am shown off alot and expected to talk a lot. I feel a little embarrassed by all the accomodations they have to maek for me (special water, special food, mosquito net, my own room) but they understand and care. They won't even let me in el sol during the day. They tell me my skin will turn red IMMEDIATELY!
My spanish is improving 10 fold every day and I cleared the language requirement for swearing in the first day easily. I have not stopped sweating from the moment i arrived but i love this country- the people, the latin culture mixed with african roots, the family, the collective nature. I have electricty and water in my house SOMETIMES, but when i don't i get by. when i have water i take a drip shower from a faucet, when i dont a bucket bath. when i have electricty i read from a light, when i dont an oil lamp. I am learning the ways of the national sport- 'chisme' or gossip, how to dress in humidity, use public transportation, and stayw ith in social norms.
This last is by trial and error as i attended a cock fight on sunday with another volunteer (who lives with mi tia) and our brother in law. When i arrived i noticed i was the only woman there. Apparently it is looked down upon for women to attend such things and they could even be looked on as whores for doing it. Luckily they know i am just a silly american and it was an experience of much learning.
Well my mosquito net is calling and my time at the internet cafe is running up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you silly cock fight watching whore. haha. i'm so glad that you like it there! have fun dear!

love, sarah

Anonymous said...

yeah, let's stay away from the whoring... that is so cute that your family is proud of you! They must know who they've got!!! I keep wanting to call you without realizing it, so keep the posts coming when you can.
XOXO,
Rachael

Anonymous said...

Wow! cows, pigs, and a highway what a great combination! Im glad your enjoying yourself, im really proud of you and we all miss you, shannon came and visted me in manhattan and she talked about how much she missed u trying to pick peoples noses... not really but she said she missed you. school is going really well, i got myself in the boeing quit smoking program... hopefully itll work well. i dunno life seems to be getting better, im gonna be Joan Crawford for halloween, tyler put me up to it. NO WIRE HANGERS! i think i cant get used to that (shes the mommy dearest lady) anyway i still havent talked to megan. anyway school is going well ive gotten all A's in all my classes so far but the Math im in is SOOO STUPID! its like 7th grade math and i wanna cry while sitting thru it for 3 hours. you should be proud, i had the day off so i did laundry, washed my sheets, AND baked cookies! wow what can i same im just a little susie homemaker! Anyway i love you and miss you just wanted to catch u up in whats going on in my world.

Anonymous said...

DANG IT! when i opened the page there was no comment and when i posted and refreshed the page im all of the sudden number 3... i fell unloved.

Mike said...

Becky,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in Dominican Republic. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide Peace Corps Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,600 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.
6. And each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia (’03-’05)
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Anonymous said...

HI MY LOVE!!! I've been thinking about you A LOT recently! I catch myself often just thinking about what you might be doing and me wishing you were just a phone call away when I need to make a funny social work joke or a random comment that only you would understand and not think I'm a horrible human being for making :)

I'm excited the d.r. is sooo awesome! Let me know when you get to use your machette (sp??) for the first time...I really look forward to knowing and hearing many a more stories about your amazing adventure filled life!!!! weeee! I love you!

Sarah